Congrats to all early Samsung Galaxy S5 owners, this is for the first time ever XDA developers showed such a quick response to any Samsung Galaxy device. Before Samsung could release their newest flagship device to market, Xda developer had managed to obtain root permission on Samsung Galaxy S5. Not only ROOT they also successfully ported few fully working Custom Recovery for Galaxy S5, mentionable among those are ClockworkMOD Normal (CWM), CWM Touch recovery for Galaxy S5, TeamWIN, TWRP Touch recovery and Philz Touch recovery for Galaxy S5. One by one we’ll post about all those recovery for Galaxy S5 so stay tuned with our blog.
Today we’re going to discuss a bit about Philz recovery and show you How to Install Touch recovery on Galaxy S5. This recovery has been tested with all Galaxy S5 variants (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, Vodafone) (SM-G900V, G900P, G900W8, G900F, G900M, G900T, G900I, G900K/L/S, G900A) so you can install this recovery on above mentioned models without keeping any doubt in mind.
Now that you have proceeded to Install Touch recovery on Galaxy S5, you must know what is a Touch/Custom Recovery, How does recovery works and What are the benefits of Installing a Recovery on Android device. I will not go in details : A Custom Recovery is nothing but a replacement of Stock recovery which is tweaked to do more tasks. Every Android device comes with a recovery mode which is called stock recovery, now the stock recovery isn’t build in such way that it could install signed archive. It only helps to backup and restore stock ROM which is very basic work, but with Custom Recovery you could do many things, like – you can install Custom ROM, you can install Custom Theme, make advance backup/restore, partitioning SDcard, wipe date/cache and lots more. In few words, Custom Recovery is must have for Galaxy S5. So without wasting anymore times lets check How to Install Touch recovery on Galaxy S5 and make it works.
Just in case you don’t know, Philz Touch recovery is actually (90%) based on ClockworkMOD recovery which is tweaked with light purple shade to make it looks like Ubuntu device.
Install Touch Recovery on Galaxy S5
First thing first, you need to Install Galaxy S5 drivers on your PC before you could proceed with Touch Recovery installation. If you already have this driver installed, you can skip this step.
1) Install Samsung Galaxy S5 USB drivers (Windows/Mac) :- Without proper USB driver your smartphone won’t be able to communicate with your PC/MAC which will lead to unsuccessful Recovery installation. So before your proceed download and install Galaxy S5 USB driver (Windows). If you own a Mac try installing Samsung kies for Mac instead, as there is no third party USB software available for MAC.
2) Enable USB Debugging on Galaxy S5 :- USB debugging mode is very essential for connecting Galaxy S5 to PC, without debug mode you won’t be able to send any command from PC to Android. As Galaxy S5 runs on Android Kitkat you need to go through two steps process to Enable USB Debugging. Follow this guide, then come back to complete Galaxy S5 Touch recovery installation.
- Unzip the downloaded zip files into a folder.
- Make sure your device is not connected to computer.
- Turn off Galaxy S5 completely, then boot into S5 download mode by pressing Power button + Home button + Volume down.
- Now open the extracted folder and RUN ODIN
- From ODIN window, tick the box beside AP button then press the AP button and select the philz recovery.
- Ensure only Auto Reboot and F.Reset time are ticked from ODIN Option panel.
- Connect device to computer, when “ADDED” message appears in Odin, press “Start” button to start the installation.
- Once the installation is done, your device will reboot automatically.
If somehow it stuck at boot screen, don’t panic just power off the device and reboot into recovery mode by holding down volume buttons along with power button. There select wipe data/factory reset to perform wipe. Once it’s done, go back and select “Reboot System Now” to reboot the device. This time it should boot normally.
That’s it, you have successfully completed all steps to Install Touch Recovery on Galaxy S5. If you like this guide please share it and leave a +ive feedback in below comment section. Having any problem, let us know in below comment, we’ll sort it out together. Good Luck with Galaxy S5 Touch Recovery Installation.